+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My quartz spot in Gwinnett county, GA

Moderator One of the regulars! Jason's Avatar

My quartz spot in Gwinnett county, GA

After 3 yrs. I just noticed they are starting to move dirt and build houses again. Anyone is welcome to come dig just make sure you fill in your holes and/or ask any superintendent or builder if it's okay if you poke around a little. I noticed last week they had machines back at there and were moving dirt and building again. Might go check it out sometime this next week. What you must also understand is his is the second most populous county in Georgia with almost 1 million people and Atlanta is 40 miles away. Not many open areas left to even look for rocks.

Last edited by Jason; 03-09-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    These gems have life in them: their colors speak, say what words fail of. ~George Eliot

This is some of the material I have found including these massive qartz crystals. The one with black has a clear tip and a skeletal type body along with the large white one.

These gems have life in them: their colors speak, say what words fail of. ~George Eliot

more

Those above are all uncleaned. Some will be clear and gemmy but most won't. Every so often you find some extremely well formed ones like thids white one which is slightly gemmy but extremely well formed

Wish I lived closer. I'd be missing work a few days.

Nice spot ..had a few folks like gsellis and others wo saw me post this a year or so ago visit and find stuff....i have boxes that i have all surface collected from here

neophyte Neophyte

Hey

Jason, send me an email bryant_north@yahoo.com. THX

Moderator One of the regulars! Rodney's Avatar
    Hey Bryant, If you post your email on any message board you will get tons of spam because automated "bots" scour the internet looking for email address to spam and sell as email lists.
    You can send Jason a private message and he'll get right back at ya. You can also enter your email in your profile and enable registered users to email you.
    This will cut down on getting spam. I started just to email you about this but figured I would post it for the benefit of the community.
    TTYL Rodney

neophyte Neophyte
    Very neat stuff. I had heard there was material being found up around the Gwinnett Center where they were doing some road construction.

Went back to the ole quartz spot a mile from my house. They are starting to put in houses and have placed 4 over the area where i used to find my best stuff but all is not lost.....
    I found the multiple primary deposits that all the crystals I would find came from. It's those rocky areas on the hill from the first post. I had checked there before a few times but never saw anything that warranted further checking. I guess 2 years of weathering uncovered the crystals i was seeking in that hillside deposit. Found lots of giant ones this time and some small gem grade ones. I got buckets full but only took photos of certain ones. These are all uncleaned and are soaking in iron-out as we speak as well as all the other ones I found(6 buckets worth)

Most of the giant ones are like diamond hill skeletal crystals without the orange/yellow coating.
    This was one of the nicer cluster I found size wise

This is a nicer gemmy cluster but smaller(unclean). I got maybe 5-6 of these with tons more there

This is probably the nicest well formed crystal I found with perfect euhedral faces

+ Reply to Thread